Project files: The NE class A headphone amp…

I’ve now finished my testing on the NE class A headamp I described earlier, so here are the design files if anyone else thinks it looks like an interesting design and wants to give it a go 🙂

Read more of this post

Project files: An unloved amp?

Well this is really “unloved” in two ways, but I thought I’d share it anyway 🙂

A while ago I ws cleaning up a little and I found the boards for this amplifier based on the LT1210 IC. Despite being from 2016 I never put the design together originally (don’t remember why) so I decided “better late than never” and tried it now. And you know what – it works!

Apart from being “unloved” because it took me nearly four years to put it together and test it, this amp is also “unloved” because the LT1210 doesn’t seem to be used that much for audio applications. It is a a current feedback power opamp with a massive current capability and so it should – albeit with a few caveats – be possible to use for audio as well with good results. Also, like e.g. the AD815 the original applications for the LT1210 (ADSL line drivers and suchlike) have all but disappeared, so – again with a few caveats – it should be possible to pick these ICs up at very good prices.

Read more of this post

Project files: The ACP+ clone…

Well, both my ACP+ clone boards are now fully populated with relays and working as expected so I guess it is appropriate to share the design files 🙂

Read more of this post

Project files: The Borbely non-hybrid headamp

To supplement the original Borbely tube hybrid headphone amplifier are here the files for the solid-state version as described previously here. Have fun!

Read more of this post

Project files: Filtered IRM power supplies (part 1)

As promised a while ago, here are my designs for the “filtered” power supplies based on IRM AC/DC modules. These are excellent for adding compact and powerful single and dual supplies which still have a reasonably good performance to any small preamp/headamp amplifier.

Read more of this post

Project files: Electronic Load files (untested)

My post on Kerry Wong’s electronic load continues to be one of the posts that consistently drives referrals and traffic to the site, even four years on from publishing it. I guess this is more of a testatement to Kerry Wongs’s original idea and design than to my efforts, but it also means that regularly someone will email me and ask what happened to the project. For the last few years I’ve only really be able to answer “not much more than what you can see” and “no, I am not expecting to do anymore about it in the foreseeable future”.

However, I have been thinking that I should get a grip on myself and at least package up my design files so that someone else might be able to carry the project forward forward. Last week another email from a reader managed to prod me just enough that I finally relented and started doing just that, so here I am publishing something that I generally do not like – a completely untested design. However, i do hope that someone can continue with the design and get it tested and running because I’m sure it is worth it (and if at some point I need a load myself, I will be grateful that someone else has done the work 😉 )

Read more of this post

Project files: Hypex UcD400OEM adapters

Well, since I shared these on diyaudio already I supposed they should be here as well 🙂

Read more of this post

Project files: The BBA3FE

Haven’t really had time to fully complete my BBA3FE project yet, but as I am otherwise happy with the design I might as well release it in case anyone wants to have a play with it 🙂

Read more of this post

Project files: The BalBUF and PSU

I’ve made a little bit of progress on my balanced mono block 700ASC-amplifiers lately, so now is probably a good time to release the project files for the balanced buffer input board and the accompanying PSU that I used in that design. It’s a pretty obvious clone of AMBs Alpha24, but since I did my own board and ditched some of the configurability I figured it’d be OK. Big thanks to Ti Kan though for actually showing how to build this circuit which I previously attempted a couple of times without getting it right.

Read more of this post

Project files: The “MoFo” power follower

I did this version of the “MoFo”-design a while ago and also mentioned it briefly (here) but didn’t manage to complete it or even test the boards. In the mean time the “official” boards have become available from the diyaudio store, but since I now finally got round to testing my boards I still thought I’d share my version as well.

Read more of this post