Wooden amps…

Well, not completely wooden of course! Some years ago I showed a plan to make a set of amps with wooden front panels, because I picked up some pre-cut wood in the right dimension on one of my trips to Japan. A while back the plan was resurrected, but then immediately brought to a halt because I had to enlarge some already-drilled holes and managed to destroy one of the panels in the process – bummer!

However, in the mean time I’ve found a local place that sells wood trim pieces for professional craftsmen and in their assortment I found a pre-made profile in the right dimension for a 1U panel and in several different kinds of wood. I chose oak as it is more my thing than the darker wood types and it goes well with both black and silver fittings. I’ve recently invested in a better drill press, so redoing the panels were without accidents this time and I also managed to overcome my fear (or is it loathing) of doing cabling to finally complete the set 🙂

The set consists of a DCB-1 preamp (on a clone board), meaning a DC-coupled version of the classic B1 buffer circuit, and a Hifimediy T4 Tripath-style class D power amp. The power supply is a surplus N2 XL375-type which I bought a small stash of some years ago.

No detailed listening impressions from my main system yet, but on test speakers it sounds excellent as I expected from what is basically an “evolution” of my old B1/125ASX bedroom system. Both components include relays to minimise turn-on and turn-off thumps and so as a set they are well-behaved enough for daily use (which is always one of my success criteria). As far as the looks are concerned, I could honestly see this being something I will want to try again in the future…